[Installit-dev] setup.py installation

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun Apr 30 22:00:49 CEST 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:33:58 +0200, Stefan Stuhr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just updated my Xfce SVN update script (based on the one by
> Kelnos) to support the Python distutils setup.py installation method,
> because I wanted to check out InstallIt.
>
> I don't like the idea of pure Python applications depending on make,
> autotools, etc. for installation, when distutils can be used -
> especially when InstallIt supports binary packages.

It does not and probably won't.

> I had to do some magic to make my script support uninstallation of
> InstallIt (distutils doesn't support it directly), but it wasn't too
> hard.
>
> My update script works, and InstallIt gets installed in
> prefix /opt/xfce4-svn/.
>
> But I get the following traceback when I try to run i2t outside the
> build directory:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/opt/xfce4-svn/bin/i2t", line 40, in ?
>     main.run()
>   File "/opt/xfce4-svn/lib/python2.4/site-packages/i2t/main.py", line
> 33, in run    window = InstallItWindow()
>   File "/opt/xfce4-svn/lib/python2.4/site-packages/i2t/ui/main.py",
> line 111, in __init__
>     self.set_icon_from_file(path.join("ui", "pixmaps", "i2t.png"))
> gobject.GError: Failed to open file 'ui/pixmaps/i2t.png': No such file
> or directory
>
> There are two problems here, as far as I can tell:
>      1. InstallIt's setup.py doesn't install every needed file. In
> fact, it omits the subdirectories of the ui and i18n directories.
>      2. InstallIt seems to lookup resources such as icons in
>         subdirectories of the current working directory.

Yep. I havent figured out yet how to determine the distutils data dir
path used during the installation. If this is possible, I could create
a script during setup which contains information about the installation
and refer to it when looking up icons and UI descriptions.

> When I do run i2t from the build directory, it works fine. The UI
> seems to be very nice. One thing I notice is that the "popup-menu"
> signal isn't used to pop up the popup menu in the main package list.

Hmm, possible. I'll look into that.

Regards,
Jannis