[Installit-dev] setup.py installation

Stefan Stuhr xfcelists at sstuhr.dk
Sun Apr 30 21:33:58 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have just updated my Xfce SVN update script (based on the one by
Kelnos) to support the Python distutils setup.py installation method,
because I wanted to check out InstallIt.

I don't like the idea of pure Python applications depending on make,
autotools, etc. for installation, when distutils can be used -
especially when InstallIt supports binary packages.
I had to do some magic to make my script support uninstallation of
InstallIt (distutils doesn't support it directly), but it wasn't too
hard.

My update script works, and InstallIt gets installed in
prefix /opt/xfce4-svn/.

But I get the following traceback when I try to run i2t outside the
build directory:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/xfce4-svn/bin/i2t", line 40, in ?
    main.run()
  File "/opt/xfce4-svn/lib/python2.4/site-packages/i2t/main.py", line
33, in run    window = InstallItWindow()
  File "/opt/xfce4-svn/lib/python2.4/site-packages/i2t/ui/main.py", line
111, in __init__
    self.set_icon_from_file(path.join("ui", "pixmaps", "i2t.png"))
gobject.GError: Failed to open file 'ui/pixmaps/i2t.png': No such file
or directory

There are two problems here, as far as I can tell:
     1. InstallIt's setup.py doesn't install every needed file. In fact,
        it omits the subdirectories of the ui and i18n directories.
     2. InstallIt seems to lookup resources such as icons in
        subdirectories of the current working directory.

When I do run i2t from the build directory, it works fine. The UI seems
to be very nice. One thing I notice is that the "popup-menu" signal
isn't used to pop up the popup menu in the main package list.

Thanks,
Stefan