[Installit-dev] Mirrors

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Aug 24 17:25:36 CEST 2005

Johannes Zellner wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to discuss the Mirror-System a bit.
>
> The idea of the Installer, is that it's really easy to use.
> So I think the available packages, provided by the packageList shouldn't
> be too many.
> For Example the user uses InstallIt for xfce and xfce-goodies. This List
> is already long and will be longer in the future.
> So my idea of the Mirrorsystem was:
>
> MainMirror:
>     - holds Mirrorlist (not country-specific Mirrors, but
> PackageList-specific Mirrors)
>
> 1Mirror:
>     - holds PackageList for xfce-goodies
> 2Mirror:
>     - holds PackageList for xfce

Somehow this doesn't seem to be very user friendly. Having to look for
the right mirror to install Software X first is not very convinient. It
would be easier if the user could install every package out of the box.

To organize the list, it should probably be folded by category or use a
tree model filter to display only items that match a certain pattern.

Your idea also violates the idea of mirrors, as the servers no longer
mirror a master, but instead each servers provides it's own list of
packages.

> greets
>     Johannes

Benedikt