[Installit-dev] Mirrors

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Aug 24 17:34:18 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> Johannes Zellner wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I'd like to discuss the Mirror-System a bit.
>>
>>The idea of the Installer, is that it's really easy to use.
>>So I think the available packages, provided by the packageList shouldn't
>>be too many.
>>For Example the user uses InstallIt for xfce and xfce-goodies. This List
>>is already long and will be longer in the future.
>>So my idea of the Mirrorsystem was:
>>
>>MainMirror:
>>    - holds Mirrorlist (not country-specific Mirrors, but
>>PackageList-specific Mirrors)
>>
>>1Mirror:
>>    - holds PackageList for xfce-goodies
>>2Mirror:
>>    - holds PackageList for xfce
>

> Somehow this doesn't seem to be very user friendly. Having to look for
> the right mirror to install Software X first is not very convinient. It
> would be easier if the user could install every package out of the box.
>
> To organize the list, it should probably be folded by category or use a
> tree model filter to display only items that match a certain pattern.

Personally, I'd like to keep things simple: Just packages and groups one
after the other. No trees or something. That's too much. I don't think
InstallIt is intended to suit laaaarge repositories. But for small ones
with about 5-50 packages it should be just fine.

Okay, we could separate package groups from packages, that's ok. But
please, no categories and tree structures.

> Your idea also violates the idea of mirrors, as the servers no longer
> mirror a master, but instead each servers provides it's own list of
> packages.

Yeah, that's true ... Hm, okay. Mirrors shall stay mirrors so we won't
spread packages around and spread chaos, hehe.

- Jannis