[Installit-dev] Mirrors

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Aug 24 17:22:57 CEST 2005

Johannes Zellner schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to discuss the Mirror-System a bit.
>
> The idea of the Installer, is that it's really easy to use.
> So I think the available packages, provided by the packageList shouldn't
> be too many.
> For Example the user uses InstallIt for xfce and xfce-goodies. This List
> is already long and will be longer in the future.
> So my idea of the Mirrorsystem was:
>
> MainMirror:
>     - holds Mirrorlist (not country-specific Mirrors, but
> PackageList-specific Mirrors)
>
> 1Mirror:
>     - holds PackageList for xfce-goodies
> 2Mirror:
>     - holds PackageList for xfce
>
> To spread the server-load for downloading, there will be a
> country-specific mirror-list in every headerfile. (like in Lunar)

So you mean instead of defining a country field for each server in the
mirror list we should add this information to the header file of each
packages, like this, right?

<download>
    <url location="Germany">http://myserver.de/package.tar.bz2</url>
    <url location="UK">http://mir.co.uk/somewhere/package.tar.bz2</url>
</download>

This way we'd first try to download e.g. from the German location and go
through the list step by step when it fails.

I find this idea pretty interesting as it would make personalized
mirrors possible, without actually storing the packages on them.

Even if we won't use this solution (yet, we have to wait for the others
to tell us their opinion) I quite like the concept of external (and more
than one) locations for one package.

Regards,
Jannis