[Goodies-dev] Panel plugins HIG

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 22:28:22 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:

>>> I'm all OK for using rotated labels at the time in vertical mode, I
>>> updated the Wiki page in that regard. One question is still open, what
>>> angle should be used for the labels? Is it always 90°? Or rather 270°
>>> when the panel is on the left side of the screen, and 90° for the other
>>> side?
>>>
>>> Currently plugins (clock, and menu plugin) seem to set an angle of 90°
>>> despit the position of the panel.
>>

>> Yes, they all do and sadly there have been no efforts yet to do anything
>> else. I'd be very fond of rotating the plugins depending on the panel
>> position, but can that be done easily? And then, which way to rotate them?
>> Does the plugins order need to be changed? Further, shouldn't the decision
>> which way to rotate be ultimately left to the user (personal preference)?
>> There must be a reason why it is 90° now and I'd really like to know it. I
>> never got to like the vertical mode in the state it is now; the idea is nice
>> but its realisation is a bit weird.
>
> We could use xfce_panel_plugin_get_screen_position () to decide of the
> label orientation (90 vs 270) based on the panel position on the
> screen.
> It only adds more code. It's 270 now (i think) for the plugins that
> supports it because it was that way in the patches andrezj sent when
> 'porting' plugins to 4.10, but there's been no real discussion on
> that, and i honestly think we could first do the hig
> cleanup/standardization before adding more boilerplate code to decide
> on 90 vs 270.
> We already have enough work with the padding/sizing/orientation fixes..

So, given that the discussion seems more or less finished (or noone
cares that much..), lets summarize what we 'decide' :

- progressbars are sized 8px*-1
- labels are packed with a 2px padding
- progressbars/buttons/images are packed with a 0px padding
- global box border width = (panel_size > 28 ? 2 : 1) (already in the wiki)
- horizontal progressbar in vertical/deskbar mode
- vertical labels in vertical mode
- anything else ?

Ok for everyone ? If i hear nothing, that's what i'm going to report
to the wiki.

Unless anyone objects (and provides actual arguments/code/etc), i'm
going to 'fix' cpugraph/diskperf/wavelan/battery/fsguard/systemload/time-out
with those settings and make releases.

Landry