[Goodies-dev] Panel plugins HIG

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 22:43:56 CEST 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am 03.06.2012 18:56, schrieb Mike Massonnet:

>>> That's right about the labels,
>>

>> I'm all OK for using rotated labels at the time in vertical mode, I
>> updated the Wiki page in that regard. One question is still open, what
>> angle should be used for the labels? Is it always 90°? Or rather 270°
>> when the panel is on the left side of the screen, and 90° for the other
>> side?
>>
>> Currently plugins (clock, and menu plugin) seem to set an angle of 90°
>> despit the position of the panel.
>

> Yes, they all do and sadly there have been no efforts yet to do anything
> else. I'd be very fond of rotating the plugins depending on the panel
> position, but can that be done easily? And then, which way to rotate them?
> Does the plugins order need to be changed? Further, shouldn't the decision
> which way to rotate be ultimately left to the user (personal preference)?
> There must be a reason why it is 90° now and I'd really like to know it. I
> never got to like the vertical mode in the state it is now; the idea is nice
> but its realisation is a bit weird.

We could use xfce_panel_plugin_get_screen_position () to decide of the
label orientation (90 vs 270) based on the panel position on the
screen.
It only adds more code. It's 270 now (i think) for the plugins that
supports it because it was that way in the patches andrezj sent when
'porting' plugins to 4.10, but there's been no real discussion on
that, and i honestly think we could first do the hig
cleanup/standardization before adding more boilerplate code to decide
on 90 vs 270.
We already have enough work with the padding/sizing/orientation fixes..

Landry