[Goodies-dev] Panel plugins HIG

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue Jun 12 23:38:30 CEST 2012

Am 12.06.2012 22:28, schrieb Landry Breuil:
> So, given that the discussion seems more or less finished (or noone
> cares that much..), lets summarize what we 'decide' :
 >
> - progressbars are sized 8px*-1

Exactly, 8px width and -1 (=automatic) height, or vice-versa for
horizontal progressbars.

> - labels are packed with a 2px padding
> - progressbars/buttons/images are packed with a 0px padding
> - global box border width = (panel_size > 28 ? 2 : 1) (already in the wiki)

That may sound like nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure the discussion was
about 26px, not 28px, and I think I've seen at least one plugin using
26, just now I can't remember which one. Haven't seen any plugin doing
28 yet. Anyway, if 28 is going to be the new default, then so be it...

> - horizontal progressbar in vertical/deskbar mode
> - vertical labels in vertical mode

I think those specs have already been mentioned in the wiki too, and
most plugins are already patched in git to follow them.

> - anything else ?

The wiki says:
 > Two category of sizes can be distinguished for the panel: small and
large size.
This is somehow misleading, or at least unclear. Isn't it more about
rows than the size? Maybe there should be a clearer explanation (and
perhaps an example) what's the difference and when to use which size.
There is a paragraph not far below titled "number of rows" which should
perhaps be made a part of this "size" paragraph.

The wiki could also mention that the eventbox should be set invisible
for transparency to work, to prevent that pretty common mistake
happening for new plugins.

> Ok for everyone ? If i hear nothing, that's what i'm going to report
> to the wiki.
 >
> Unless anyone objects (and provides actual arguments/code/etc), i'm
> going to 'fix' cpugraph/diskperf/wavelan/battery/fsguard/systemload/time-out
> with those settings and make releases.
>
> Landry

All fine for me.

Harald