[Goodies-dev] ANN: sion version 0.1.0 released

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Mon Jan 5 10:56:08 CET 2009

On sam, 2009-01-03 at 16:57 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:31:23 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez
> <corsac at debian.org> wrote:
>
> >On ven, 2009-01-02 at 19:20 +0000, enrico.troeger at uvena.de wrote:
> >> this is the first public release of Sion, a frontend to easily manage
> >> connections to remote filesystems using GIO/GVFS.
> >> It allows you to quickly connect/mount a remote filesystem and manage
> >> bookmarks of such.
> >
> >Hmhm, something puzzles me. Is it different from typing
> >“ftp://ftp.example.org” in a GIO/GVFS enabled file manager? Or is it
> >just about storing the bookmarks?
>
> Mainly it's just about storing bookmarks to quickly connect to remote
> resources using GVFS.

Ok so when Thunar is gvfs aware, storing bookmarks in its bookmark bar
will do the same job, for example? (well except that it's not only about
opening it in a file manager, but useful to mount (as in Unix) them and
access them in a terminal or something.

> >Thunar: Failed to open "sftp://example.org/": The URI
> >"sftp://example.org/" is invalid.
>
> Thunar is not yet GVFS ready although Jannis already started a port.
> To open GVFS mounts in Thunar, you need the gvfs-fuse packages as Mike
> already pointed out.

Hmhm, ok. And with gvfs-open it works pretty fine (it'll open the
correct folder in thunar).

> After all, Sion's job is to provide an easy GUI to manage bookmarks to
> remote resources, gives the possibility to quickly mount those and
> list existing GVFS mounts. And in this context 'mount' is actually
> almost the same as 'connect'.

Ok, thanks for the explanation :)

Cheers,
--