[Goodies-dev] ANN: sion version 0.1.0 released

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Sat Jan 3 16:57:25 CET 2009

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:31:23 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez
<corsac at debian.org> wrote:

>On ven, 2009-01-02 at 19:20 +0000, enrico.troeger at uvena.de wrote:
>> this is the first public release of Sion, a frontend to easily manage
>> connections to remote filesystems using GIO/GVFS.
>> It allows you to quickly connect/mount a remote filesystem and manage
>> bookmarks of such.
>
>Hmhm, something puzzles me. Is it different from typing
>ftp://ftp.example.org” in a GIO/GVFS enabled file manager? Or is it
>just about storing the bookmarks?

Mainly it's just about storing bookmarks to quickly connect to remote
resources using GVFS.

>And, when you say “connect/mount”, isn't GIO/GVFS supposed to avoid
>mounting stuff, and enables you to transparently connect from your file
>manager? Or does it enable non-GIO/GVFS enabled files managers to use
>those shares?

Mounting in a GVFS context is something different from mounting in a
Unix context, i.e. GVFS mounts remote resources in its own way and make
mounts available to GVFS/GIO enabled applications. Additionally, the
gvfs-fuse code makes GVFS mounts available through ~/.gvfs/ to access
them normally as they were normal mounts.

>In that case, it sure would be nice, but it doesn't seem to work here.
>If I mount a ssh share in sion, it appears mounted in sion, but not in
>“mount” output. And trying to open it from sion gives this in Thunar:

Don't confuse normal Unix mounts with GVFS mounts. In the 'mount'
output you will only find a 'gvfs-fuse-daemon' mount which is kind of a
bridge between GVFS and normal mounts.

>Thunar: Failed to open "sftp://example.org/": The URI
>"sftp://example.org/" is invalid.

Thunar is not yet GVFS ready although Jannis already started a port.
To open GVFS mounts in Thunar, you need the gvfs-fuse packages as Mike
already pointed out.

After all, Sion's job is to provide an easy GUI to manage bookmarks to
remote resources, gives the possibility to quickly mount those and
list existing GVFS mounts. And in this context 'mount' is actually
almost the same as 'connect'.

Regards,
Enrico