[Goodies-dev] ANN: xfce4-time-out-plugin version 0.1.0 released

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun May 6 21:18:16 CEST 2007

Am Sun, 06 May 2007 19:26:32 +0200
schrieb Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl>:

> jannis at xfce.org wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm glad to announce the first release of the
> > xfce4-time-out-plugin. If you ever needed something that stops you
> > from sitting in front of your machine for hours without taking a
> > single break then this plugin is for you. Taking breaks is good for
> > your health as well as your creativity and productivity. Check it
> > out if you like!
> Congratulation on your release, Jannis!
>
> I used to use Workrave[1], but all I really need is almost provided
> by the timeout-plugin.
>
> Some idea's/suggestions:
> - Detect inactivity (=no mouse/keyboard input) and pause the counter
> after x seconds of inactivity.

Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about as well. Would you mind
to file a feature request?

> - If it's time for a break and the user is still active, bug the user
> to take a break or postpone it. x seconds of inactivity triggers the
> break (minus the x seconds) (just like [2])

I don't think that's worth the fuzz.

> - Fix the build process so that we can compile it with the
> --as-needed LDFLAG

I'll look into it.

> - The icon in the panel is a document with an 'x' on it... (???)

Icons should be installed to

  $datadir/hicolor/48x48/apps/xfce4-time-out-plugin.png and
  $datadir/hicolor/scalable/apps/xfce4-time-out-plugin.svg

> - If you don't change the 'Time between breaks' setting, don't reset
> the timer on closing the window

I'm aware of this but I have not decided how to deal with it yet. I'll
either add a second close button to the properties dialog or only apply
changed settings once (after closing the dialog). I generally prefer
settings to be applied instantly.

  - Jannis