[Goodies-dev] ANN: xfce4-time-out-plugin version 0.1.0 released

Erlend Davidson E.R.M.Davidson at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun May 6 20:01:17 CEST 2007

Harold Aling wrote:
> jannis at xfce.org wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm glad to announce the first release of the xfce4-time-out-plugin. If
>> you ever needed something that stops you from sitting in front of your
>> machine for hours without taking a single break then this plugin is for
>> you. Taking breaks is good for your health as well as your creativity
>> and productivity. Check it out if you like!
>>
> Congratulation on your release, Jannis!
>
> I used to use Workrave[1], but all I really need is almost provided by
> the timeout-plugin.
>
> Some idea's/suggestions:
> - Detect inactivity (=no mouse/keyboard input) and pause the counter
> after x seconds of inactivity.
> - If it's time for a break and the user is still active, bug the user to
> take a break or postpone it. x seconds of inactivity triggers the break
> (minus the x seconds) (just like [2])
> - Fix the build process so that we can compile it with the --as-needed
> LDFLAG
> - The icon in the panel is a document with an 'x' on it... (???)
> - If you don't change the 'Time between breaks' setting, don't reset the
> timer on closing the window
>
> Cheers!
>
> Harold.
>
> [1] http://www.workrave.org/
> [2] http://www.workrave.org/screenshots/unix/gfx/prelude.gif
Similar to the first suggestion above, about detecting inactivity, I
would suggest being able to lock the screen based on intensity of usage
by watching how far the mouse has moved, how many times it's been
clicked and the number of keystrokes from the keyboard.  Perhaps assign
a score to each input, say 5 for mouse click, 1 for wheel roll, 2 for
keystroke (as mouse use is known to be worse for you than keypresses)
and 1 for every minute of time passed.  When the cumulative score
reaches some threshold value, say  1000 lock the screen.

I used to use the gnome one too - but I found it slightly annoying when
I wanted to just listen to music - i.e. click track, listen... 4 minutes
later click another one and so on.

Thanks,

Erlend