[Goodies-dev] XKB Layout Switcher

Alexander Iliev sasoiliev at mamul.org
Tue Jun 20 01:05:45 CEST 2006

lists_mk at wujiman.net wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:36:39AM +0300, Alexander Iliev wrote:
>
>>lists_mk at wujiman.net wrote:
>>
>>>that's exactly why i left windows far behind. doing configuration once and
>>>then just using the program is what i like about unix. this gui stuff,
>>>constantly changing configuration, most of the time doing the wrong thing
>>>or doing nothing at all is really irritating. this way, there's not even any
>>>documentation for the configs anymore. what you can't click, you can't do.
>>
>>Yep, I agree, but there exist users, that don't want to know about
>>editing configuration files. Lots. :)
>

> i don't want to be nasty, but i hate to see unix become windows just because
> they can't grasp a bit different philosophy. i don't mind changing configs
> from gui, i just don't trust gui as the sole source of the configuration.
> but i guess i'm just a bit too much set in my ways. and it really doesn't
> matter that much:)

I don't like using too much GUI too, but if the goal is to make
Linux/Unix/XFCE/whatever more popular we should make things easier
for newbies. :)

>>>one question. svn version xkb-plugin doesn't read it's config(it writes it
>>>though). would there be any possibility of a quick fix? not that i don't like
>>>the us flag constantly starring at me from the panel, but i'd prefer the "us"
>>>"cz" description.
>>
>>I know about the problem from the other thread, the reason I did not
>>reply to that mail is that I didn't have the time to check what's going
>>on. :)
>>
>>I'll probably check it out tomorrow.
>

> it's ok. i just didn't know if the message got through. it's no rush. i don't
> really need the plugin, i'm using shortcuts anyway. it only surprised me, that
> it creates the config but doesn't read it. i would expect it to be the other
> way around.

With latest XKB plugin and panel from beta1 it reads and writes the
configuration (at least on my box). I'll take a look ASAP.

Regards,
--
Alexander Iliev