First cut at a cross-"platform" X11/Wayland windowing library

Brian Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Mon Sep 26 11:24:58 CEST 2022

On Sun, Sep 25, 2022, at 10:17, Gaƫl Bonithon wrote:
> Looking at what needs to be done for the tasklist panel plugin (and
> also windowmenu, though to a lesser extent), I figure I'd better use
> your library, otherwise I'm off to rewrite what you're doing in one
> form or another.
>
> So let's go for Libxfce4windowing, goodbye Libxfcewl. Sniff. Maybe I'll
> put it on GitHub anyway...

On one hand I'm glad I did something useful, but on the other I'm sad that you ended up deciding to toss what you've done :(

I looked through the repo settings on GitLab, and I can't find a way to give you permissions on libxfce4windowing (not sure if it's just not possible, or I missed the setting somewhere).  I kinda feel like it's maybe a little premature to move it to the Xfce GitLab group, though, but I'd like you to be able to do stuff without having to wait for me to approve a merge...

> A lot of functions won't do anything though, as a lot of things are
> missing in the protocols as already said, but at least it will minimize
> the extent of the changes. And it will hopefully prepare the future :)

Yep.  I've mostly only added/implemented things that are supported on both environments, with a few exceptions where it's reasonable to just return NULL or just take no action.

     -brian