RFC: xfwm4: drop legacy KDE systray emulation

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult lkml at metux.net
Thu Oct 20 10:54:38 CEST 2022

On 20.10.22 07:16, Gaël Bonithon wrote:

Hi folks,

> These are two different specifications:
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/systemtray-spec/systemtray-spec-latest.html

This is the one implemented by xfce-panel's systray plugin.
It works by traditional X11 mechanisms (window properties, etc).

> https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/StatusNotifierItem/

Something entirely different - via dbus, completely bypasses X11. Works
only locally (or you have to add extra tricks to somehow attach remote
applications to the local session dbus).

> In theory the second one should have replaced the first one. In practice it was added to it.

Only in the narrow use case that there aren't any remote applications.
Seems to match the Wayland philosophy which rules out remote
applications by definition :p

Both are entirely different from the KDE legacy stuff. The code we're
talking about just proxied from KDE legacy to the systemtray spec.

Actually, I wonder why it went into the WM in the first place, instead
of being handled in the panel's systemtray plugin.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert