Is Xfburn currently maintained?

Hunter Turcin huntertur at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 03:58:08 CEST 2022

Hello folks,

I am an occassional contributor to the Xfce project, poking my head in
about once every few months to submit a code change, file an issue, or
say something on one of the mailing lists. Xfburn is my preferred
optical disc burning utility. About a year and a half ago, I submitted
a merge request (!11) to fix an issue reported near the start of last
year (#40). Since then, there have been two other merge requests opened
by another author and multiple seemingly-unacknowledged issues,
including one inquiring about when the next release would happen (#43).

While there has been work committed to the main branch in this
timeframe, the work seems to be limited to items that do not concern
the actual application code:

- translations
- build script fixes
- updating COPYING
- updating project URL

I enjoy using Xfburn over any other optical disc burning utility, and I
find myself using it at least a few times every month, which I know is
far more often than someone should be burning discs in 2022 :), but I
enjoy collecting and messing around with computers from the late 1990s,
so Xfburn gets regular use whenever I need to burn a bootable CD or
DVD. It would be a shame if this program withered away.

Has Xfburn had a maintainer over the past year and a half, and if not,
is there a process I could follow to volunteer to take on this role?
While I don't have much experience maintaining open-source projects, I
think it would improve the current state of affairs, and I would be
willing to pass on the role to anyone more suited to it if someone
better appears (or the original maintainer returns).

Thanks,
Hunter Turcin