xfway: added support for alt-tab switcher

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:53:04 CEST 2022

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 12:42 AM adlo <adloconwy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 3 Aug 2022, at 05:57, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you don't want to limit the options of future Xfce developers, then
> > pick GPLv2-only. GPLv2-only ensures that if in the future Richard
> > Stallman comes with another one of his brainchilds and releases GPLv4,
> > the community around your project won't be affected.
> >
> > Even if you agree with everything the GPLv3 says, there's no knowing
> > what will be in GPLv4.
> >
> > If for some strange reason it turns out that GPLv4 ends up being a
> > sane license, then the community can have a vote, and if everyone
> > agrees, then you change the license to GPLv4-only. Problem solved.
>
> That’s not the point though. I’m taking someone else’s code, therefore I can’t change the license because it’s *not my code*. I don’t own the copyright. If I’m copying the code from labwc, the labwc authors own the copyright, not me, therefore only they can change the license.
>
> Therefore, if I’m choosing a project to copy to use as a base, I want to give myself the maximum amount of options for the future.

That doesn't change the analysis one iota.

If GPLv4 turns out to be something your developers are not comfortable
with, and you copied GPLv2+ code, you are in trouble.

On the other hand if you copied GPLv2-only code you have all the time
in the world to decide if you want to stay with GPLv2-only, or switch
to GPLv4 and rewrite that code.

The only practical difference is that with GPLv2-only you have all the
time in the world to decide, but with GPLv2 the *second* GPLv4 is
released, you (and your contributors) must make a choice.

--
Felipe Contreras