Release builds

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Tue Sep 14 17:00:47 CEST 2021

Hey everyone,

I just quickly wanted to let you know that I merged a PR[1] that enables
"release builds" whenever we push a new tag to GitLab (at least I hope it
does :D).
What happens then is that a new stage ("release") is triggered that runs
distcheck but at the same time retains the resulting tar.bz2 as a
downloadable artifact along with the CI run.

Obviously this is duplicating what we already do as part of releasing by
pushing to archive.x.o, but consider this a starting step to automating
this part of our release and to building the release tarballs not locally
but in our CI. (Ofc anyone who wants to use the tarballs to upload them to
the release tool can do so.)

Among the current limitations is also that only tarballs with the tar.bz2
extension are caught, but we can fix these things over time.

Cheers
Simon

[1] https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-dev-tools/-/merge_requests/59