Calendar GSoC idea

Bruno Schmidt bw509 at centurylink.net
Sun Mar 7 01:34:43 CET 2021

Greetings to y'all!

After some extensive testing, and quite a bit of googling of reviews and
user experiences, I can assure you your deprecated "Orage" app (some 15+
years ago called "Xfcalendar") provides you with all the functionality
you're looking for, and then some.

Alas and as you well know, it is still written to the GTK2 standard. But
it has good bones, its code is quite clean (though lacks a lot of the
comments a maintainer would need) and doesn't use a database, like ie
SqlLite. Instead, it relies on the flat-file "Ical" file spec for its
master file * calendaring and calendar import/export funtions - not
exactly reliable from an update and/or recovery point of view, but a
good starting point for overhauling the code.

Its dynamic notification icon in the status tray has everything you're
looking for, and could be revised with some modest work (imho) to
function as a regular panel plugin replacing the existing clock plugin
(if that's what you're after). But you do recognize that you can't just
have events and alerts without the underlying data management, which
would mean that the calendaring would have to run as a child process of
the panel. Is that a good idea?

Just some constructive thoughts.

Cheers, Bruno