system turns suddenly off with current master

Stefan Seyfried stefan.seyfried at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 13 18:42:38 CET 2021

Hi Olaf,

On 01.02.21 09:27, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Am Mon, 1 Feb 2021 09:02:50 +0100
> schrieb Alex <acs82 at gmx.de>:
>
>> And if you can, use "git bisect" to find the malicious commit. both
>
> I went back to 6833b194, and the system keeps running.

This commit is simple, trivial and wrong:

commit 462d4f024f1417595c3e6484c678509fa2e80619
Author: Yousuf Philips <philipz85 at hotmail.com>
Date:   Mon Jan 25 16:15:05 2021 +0100

     Lower minimum inactivity to 5 minutes

The magic value for "never suspend" changed from 14 to 4 (in minutes).
But your config probably still contains 14.

If you have never set this before (like I had until 5 minutes ago), the
config file will not contain the value at all.
But if you ever played with the value...

grep inactivity-on-battery
~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-power-manager.xml
     <property name="inactivity-on-battery" type="uint" value="14"/>

So now if I ever update to post-4.16 I will run into the same issue as
you did ;-)

>>    Possibly related to xfce4-screensaver ?  Possibly worth to try a clean
>> config for both / fresh user account.
>
> Unlikely, and a bad idea. Existing configurations should continue to work.

Yes, config update is broken in this case.

Unfortunately, due to the way this is stored ("magic minimal value for
off"), this will be hard to fix. Maybe to not get future changes to that
value wrong again, changing it to either remove the value from the
config file completely if it is "off" or to some more logical value for
"never suspend" like "0" (-1 does not work as it is unsigned int ;-)).

I'd suggest to revert the above mentioned commit for now until the
config update issue is considered and fixed.
--
Stefan Seyfried