Xfce project and financial contributions

Bruno Schmidt bw509 at centurylink.net
Wed Apr 21 19:07:19 CEST 2021

Thanks,  Kevin, for your feedback.

With utmost respect for your thoughts, I feel I should address your
perception of "... undue administrative burden .." perception. In my
experience, the fund-raising "front-end" is the easiest part (per these
links, below)

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/nfp and
https://www.paypal.com/us/non-profit/fundraising/fundraising-online and
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ4103

Once signed up with and accepted by PayPal as a non-profit org, even for
a non-tech person, it takes just a few minutes using its button-factory
to generate the "Contribute" or "Donate" button's underlying link-html.
Then that link-html simply needs to get copied/pasted into xfce's
existing page(s). Once published, that button tells PayPal everything
they need to know to put up their donation page, and process a
transaction ...

Simple thus far, but here comes the sticky part: xfce, through its
delegate (aka "admin"), must signup and be accepted by PayPal. In fact
ANY reputable paywall insists on doing so. Because PayPal acts as a
non-stop, pass-through service, the "back-end" (read: banking &
domicile) must be established beforehand as it will be verified by
PayPal before activating an account.

That's where xfce's organizational details come into play: who manages
deposits; who draws funds; who authorizes disbursements, and to whom,
and for what purposes .... The devil is in the details. Is xfce, as on
org, ready to step up to that? That's my larger question, and I strongly
suggest that xfce manage its own finances. As I have no way of knowing,
Is xfce doing so now, or is it relying on proxy arrangements only (ie
bountysource?

To summarize my boring minutia: the setup is easier than you think, but
the operation can get tricky if not properly organized beforehand &
managed later.

Best regards, BW

PS: I personally use PayPal a lot (eBay & such) and have no stake in it.
PPS: I had a very bad experience with Patrean and would not recommend it.