Xfce project and financial contributions

Bruno Schmidt bw509 at centurylink.net
Tue Apr 20 18:58:26 CEST 2021

Greetings to y'all!

Fwiw: if your objective is to withdraw from bountysource (@
https://www.bountysource.com/teams/xfce ) then the link to that service
should be removed from xfce's page ( @ https://www.xfce.org/getinvolved
) sooner than later. As you can see, donations are still flowing in,
thus donors will have to be contacted to redirect their payment
directives -- not an easy task, for sure...

I have looked at kde.org, ubuntu-mate, mate-desktop, linux mint,
opencollective, patreon, and other paywalls, and would humbly suggest to
develop a PayPal-based solution. For the simple reason that it their API
works well and can be used internationally. However, there's a rub: if
the person/entity that manages (read: admin & bank accounts) the PayPal
account is a US-"taxpayer" (has an SSN or applied for/uses an EIN), then
the flow of donations becomes subject to US tax-laws per se, and
possibly tax liabilities, and perhaps additional information-report
filing requirements (ie f1099) on US recipients of donated funds.

On the up-side, Incorporating a non-profit corp / trust /foundation here
in one of the US states is relatively simple and cheap, but does require
a "registered agent" (for legal process) in the state of incorporation,
ie Nevada or Washington.

Just some constructive thoughts. Cheers, BW