XFCE Settings Critical Functionality Broken with UPower enabled

Elliot CheeseEBoi at mailo.com
Sat Aug 22 15:50:57 CEST 2020

Hello,

Ever since the release of 4.14 there has been a bug with XFCE Settings
where, after suspending a laptop by closing the lid, the screen will
stay blank after logging in with light-locker or before logging in with
xfce4-screensaver. I have reported this bug on GitLab here:
<https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/-/issues/222>

After some more testing, I've found that this is due to something with
UPower. If you want the specific details, it's all in the report and
its comments.  Either way, to fix this, someone more knowledgeable than
myself would need to take a look at the debug output/errors. However,
if nobody has time or enough knowledge on the subject, having UPower
support disabled by default would most certainly fix this issue for the
time being.

The reason why I am suggesting dropping this functionality at this
point is that this issue has very severe implications for XFCE as a
project. This issue seems to critically affect all laptop (likely a
major part of XFCE's users) users and has been around for almost a
year.  At this point, this really just needs to be fixed as soon as
possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Elliot