Xfce 4.14 documentation (docs.xfce.org)

Simon Steinbeiss simon at xfce.org
Tue Jul 23 00:48:59 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

I quickly wanted to inform all of you that I have started to "branch"[1]
some docs for some of our core components so we can distinguish and update
them for 4.14 while still providing documentation for 4.12 users.

Here's an example:
"Master": https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/start
"Xfce 4.12": https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/4.12/start

For everyone unfamiliar with this concept: every component that doesn't
have "4.12" as Xfce DE version string will be redirected to the "Master"
version automatically. In other words: users that click the "Help" button
should always get the docs.xfce page that corresponds to the Xfce DE
version they are using.

So far I have branched the following components:
* xfce4-settings
* xfce4-panel
* xfce4-session

If you update docs for 4.14 please keep in mind that you should always make
sure that the component's docs have already been branched so no information
is lost.
As guideline for screenshots please stick to "Greybird" as Gtk theme and
"Faenza" as icon theme so we have some visual consistency [2].

Having said that, please start your engines and let's update the docs so we
have as much as possible up-to-date on the 4.14 release day!

Thanks for your support!
Cheers
Simon

[1] "Branching" means copying the content of the page by hand to a newly
created page in the 4.12 namespace.

[2] Previously one of the Xfce Gtk themes was used but as those are
deprecated with the Gtk+3 port Greybird is probably the best alternative as
it is maintained and contains Xfce specific theming, which helps other
themers.