delayed session startup

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Sun Jul 21 22:12:43 CEST 2019

Am Sat, 20 Jul 2019 23:24:57 +0200
schrieb Simon Steinbeiss <simon at xfce.org>:

> However I'm not sure if and how it's possible to do it properly.

If there are races, then describing the actual dependencies and process them in some way looks like a requirement to me.

My idea was something like the notify feature in systemd. A .service file can specify itself as Type=notify, and the app calls sd_notify() once it can start processing input from other units that depend on it. Until this sd_notify arrives, systemd will defer further startup of this dependency branch. All this is of course only a small fraction of the required changes for proper dependency tracking.

Olaf