How to register client at xfce session

Wojciech S. Czarnecki ohir at fairbe.org
Fri Feb 8 15:03:11 CET 2019

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 13:10:37 +0100
Fabrice Delliaux <netbox253 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 07/02/19 à 12:04, Silvio Knizek a tapoté :
> > > How can I register with xfce session manager

> In my app I've done this by following the first five paragraphs of this
> document (and linking to the library) :
>
> 	https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libSM/SMlib.html
:) Thank you. Now I know, just seems that there is no python binding
to the reference SM libs. At least within my google-fu reach.
(Terminator is a python2 piece: )

> My app registers to the session manager. Then I simply need the
> end-of-session signal to free resources and exit cleanly. It works fine
> in Xfce, and other desktops I guess.

Yep. I am in a quest for just being told that session is about to end
to get terminal wd saved.
(I elected to save the rest, i.e. app layout, only on user demand).

> > > if it comes without RegisterClient method?

I was at first mislead by  xfce session dbus presence:

org.xfce.Session.Manager interface
 .CanHibernate method
 .CanRestart method
 .CanShutdown method
 .CanSuspend method
 .Checkpoint {s} method
 .GetInfo method
 .GetState method
 .Hibernate method
 .ListClients method
 .Logout {bb} method
 .Restart {b} method
 .Shutdown {b} method
 .Suspend method
 .ClientRegistered {s} signal
 .ShutdownCancelled signal
 .StateChanged {uu} signal

Note: all but RegisterClient methods of gnome session manager.

(Does any one know why incomplete set is exposed at all?)