Infrastructure Upgrades/Changes: Git(ea)

Enrico Tröger enrico at xfce.org
Mon Oct 9 23:50:48 CEST 2017

Hi,

first of all, I completely second the idea of moving to Gitea (or any
other free and self-hosted platform) and am happy Simon and the rest
work on this.

> I don't think there is something wrong with Github's TOS in general but
> more with their system of pull requests, the comments on issues and
> commit history which can't be easily extracted when things "get rough".

Just for completeness without being another Github attorney:
if things "get rough" it might be too late but for any other case, using
the mentioned Github APi you can easily backup your issues, PRs,
comments, wiki content and many other things quite easily into the JSON
format.

We do this in the Geany project to keep a bit of the chance to be able
to switch to something in case Github will break, close or whatever else
we don't want.

There is https://github.com/josegonzalez/python-github-backup which does
a good job on this.

Anyway, this is going to be off-topic here as Github is not an option to
be discussed for Xfce and this is fine :).

Regards,
Enrico