Allowing xfce4-session to use external ssh-agent

Ivan Kabaivanov ivan.kabaivanov at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 20:42:18 CET 2017

-----Original message-----
From: Silvio Knizek <killermoehre at gmx.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 8:30 PM
To: xfce4-dev at xfce.org
Subject: Re: Allowing xfce4-session to use external ssh-agent

snip

Hi,

I think the easiest solution would be to "hardcode" the SSH_AUTH_SOCK
variable as deterministic string (a.k.a. wihtout random tmp-path and
without PID) into ˜/.pam_environment (read by pam_env.so), which set
this variable for every application in your PAM session. Than you would
start ssh-agent as »ssh-agent -a "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK"«. You would tell Xfce
to just not start the ssh-agent.

Indeed, this is the far better approach and not a hack as the one I proposed. I just tested it and it works to my satisfaction.

I hereby withdraw my proposed patch as the functionality can be easily achieved through standard PAM functionality.

Thanks,

IvanK.