How to panel plugin

André Miranda andre42m at gmail.com
Tue May 9 02:40:49 CEST 2017

Dani,
I tried to review your repository, but one big commit is not easy on my
strained eyes.
I noticed some commented code and some files renamed/deleted/recreated
without a clear reason, please don't push these things, they only confuse.
Currently it's not possible to build due an error on Makefile about an
image, take a look at xfce4-dict where I made some changes related to
the panel plugin icon. It came to my attention that you replaced the
icon by one that seems to be from onlinewebfonts.com and according to
what's present in the SVG it's under this license:
https://creativecommons.org/ns
I recommend not to change the current icon unless you have a good reason
to, otherwise an attribution will be necessary.

Regarding the documentation, unfortunately it's far from updated, the
page you mentioned hasn't been touch since 2010 (I touch it recently,
but only to add information, I didn't update it). As Matthew hinted, the
better documentation we have is the source code itself.

Cheers,
Andre Miranda

On 05/06/2017 08:31 AM, Dani wrote:

> Dani
>
> On 06/05/17 02:18, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> On 2017-05-05 10:46 AM, Dani wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> For gtk3.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/panel_plugins
>>> say:
>>>
>>> Plugin Registration
>>> To register a plugin with the plugin system there are two macros
>>> available that should be used, instead of using the library functions
>>> directly; one for internal plugins and one for external plugins.
>>> XFCE_PANEL_PLUGIN_REGISTER_EXTERNAL(construct);
>>>

>>> but here:
>>> http://www6.frugalware.org/mirrors/linux/vectorlinux/veclinux-7.1/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/libxfce4panel-1.0/libxfce4panel-Panel-Plugin-Register-Macros-(4.6-Style).html
>>>

>>> say:
>>>
>>> Warning
>>> XFCE_PANEL_PLUGIN_REGISTER_EXTERNAL has been deprecated since version
>>> 4.8 and should not be used in newly-written code. Deprecation is not
>>> entirely true, but it should be made clear that it is recommended to
>>> use
>>> XFCE_PANEL_PLUGIN_REGISTER(). See the Registering Plugins for more