Timezone selector

Viktor Semykin thesame.ml at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 02:19:33 CEST 2017

On 16/08/17 12:59, Viktor Odintsev wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I tested your patches. They are very good but I found some issues.
>
> 1. libxfce4ui builds both for gtk2 and gtk3. Your custom widget is not
> compatible to gtk2 so now libxfce4ui can't be built without --disable-gtk2.
> 2. libxfce4ui is not builable with --enable-gtk-doc.

Good point. Going to fix it.

> There is also a small GUI issue. I found that you can scroll and zoom
> the widget. That's great, but I can overscroll the widget too much.
> I think that image should never be scrolled over its corners. Is it
> possible to fix? Of course it's not so important as the issues described
> above but it would be very nice to see this fixed too.

I tried a lot of approaches to scrolling and zooming while creating the
widget. Any restriction to scroll and zoom breaks the behaviour when the
map point under cursor remains still while mouse-wheel-zoom. Although
overscroll restriction may visually look better because the map is never
scrolled out of screen, this also feels totally crappy from UX point of
view. It feels like "oh my why things are moving away?". And also this
is very consistent with every 2GIS system I've tried to use before.

There's another thing I'm worrying about. The map definitely needs
styling capabilities because it should match user's theme. I have no
idea of how this is achieved and how to make it work on gtk2/3 edge.

> Everything else looks good for me, good job.
>
> Regards,
> Viktor
>
> On 11/08/17 06:56, Viktor Semykin wrote:
>> Hello xfce team.
>>
>> I have implemented nice timezone selection widget and added it to
>> libxfce4ui and then modified clock plugin in xfce4-panel to use this
>> widget. What is the way to get this code accepted/rejected into
>> mainline xfce code?
>>
>> This is my libxfce4ui: [1], this is my xfce4-panel: [2] and this is
>> YouTube video demonstrating the selector in action: [3]
>>
>> [1] https://bitbucket.org/thesame/libxfce4ui/branch/timezone
>> [2] https://bitbucket.org/thesame/xfce4-panel/branch/timezone
>> [3] https://youtu.be/elHEXriC8oo

best, Viktor.