GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_call_finish_internal: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

Francesco Pasa francescopasa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 17:26:20 CEST 2017

Hi All,

I am debugging the GTK3 port of Thunar. We have a rather serious bug
affecting almost all file operations (copy, rename, move, etc), which
results in a crash (segfault) of the program. I debugged a little and it
seems that the error is coming from the funtion

GVariant <https://developer.gnome.org/gio/glib-GVariant.html#GVariant> *
g_dbus_proxy_call_finish (*GDBusProxy
<https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GDBusProxy.html> *proxy*,
                          *GAsyncResult
<https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/GAsyncResult.html> *res*,
                          *GError
<https://developer.gnome.org/gio/glib-Error-Reporting.html#GError>
**error*);

which is supposed to return NULL in case of errors, and fill the error
pointer with a description of the error. It does return NULL, but the error
pointer seems to be uninitialized (the bug goes away if I manually fill the
error pointer with some random data and g_error_new).

Does somebody now if this is a bug in glib?

Thanks in advance,
Francesco Pasa