Experiments with buildung mousepad with meson

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Fri Oct 21 16:29:44 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-20 08:28 PM, André Miranda wrote:
> Lately I've been playing with build systems and package managers for
> C/C++, and Meson is one of the most promising.
> People from Gnome is already has been experimenting this tool [1][2].
> I was able to build mousepad as Flo instructed, even though I knew it's
> so easy to set up, I was impressed by how fast Ninja is, it took 3.5s to
> build while make made me wait for 10s.

Building Mousepad with Autotools takes 3.3s here or 2s if I disable the
deprecation warnings that print to stdio. A full configure and build
takes 7s.

I have a fast PC but I wonder are you using parallel make? Mousepad
being plain C and not having many files, 10s sounds like a lot unless
you are not parallelizing the build or have a slow machine.

Regards,
Matthew Brush