Sponsoring by my Company

Enrico Tröger enrico at xfce.org
Tue Oct 11 20:54:08 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Well, sponsoring of a free software project is a sensible matter IMHO,
> so I am a bit wary.
>
> To me, sponsoring xfce would be getting paid to work on xfce core or
> contributing financially either for the infrastructure or live events
> of xfce developers (like a hackfest).
>
> I am not sure I am willing to accept a company logo on the website for
> limited events that doesn't really benefit the project itself, unless
> I am missing something.

It has benefits for the project itself:
first of all, as Silvio pointed out, what we are doing helps the users
of Xfce. It's quite common that users come to the booth and bring their
problems and/or questions with hoping to get some support.
These are sometimes also people who don't know communication channels
like IRC or mailing lists exist or even doesn't speak English well
enough to ask there (or they think they don't).
So, there is no direct benefit here but it helps the users which I would
consider part of the community.

A direct benefit is people sometimes create bug reports after we
debugged some problem or we create the bug reports for them in case they
don't want or can't do it on their own.

You asked for some report of the last event (I'm writing this mail in
the train on the way back from Prague), some time ago I wrote some kind
of report for our work in Germany. IIRC we are running booths for Xfce
since 2010 on all of the bigger FOSS events in Germany and since three
or four years also in Prague.
https://www.pending.io/presenting-xfce-and-geany-on-conferences/

Until now, almost all of the material we use as well as travelling
expenses we paid on our own. This is OK but if we had the chance to get
something back, it's at least worth a discussion.

I'm also not completely sure yet whether this is a good idea but it
could help a lot.
Even better would be to have the foundation running so we could also
accept donations and use that money for such things.
Does anyone know how is the status of the foundation?

Regards,
Enrico