Git user repositories, and user branches

Landry Breuil landry at xfce.org
Fri Jun 17 21:14:54 CEST 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 10:03:10PM +0200, Landry Breuil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i've managed to fix so-called 'user repositories' on git.xfce.org,
> developers with an account should now be able to create user
> repositories again by adding a remote such as:
>
> git add remote landry ssh://git@git.xfce.org/users/landry/xfce4-screenshooter
>
> The remote URL has to match users/<your username>/<reponame>
>
> and then pushing to it, whatever branch:
>
> git push landry test-branch
>
> -> see the result on
> http://git.xfce.org/users/landry/xfce4-screenshooter/?h=test-branch
>
> User repositories don't trigger a mail to xfce4-commits at xfce.org.
>
> An alternative is to push a branch prefixed with <yourname>/foo to the
> 'main repo' (ie not a user repo) - this is specifically allowed by the
> git config.
>
> Ie
>
> git branch -m test-branch landry/test-branch
> git push origin landry/test-branch
>
> and see it on
> http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screenshooter/?h=landry/test-branch
>
> (this method triggers mails to xfce4-commits at xfce.org)
>
> A 'hidden' feature i discovered: if you want to 'share' your user
> repository to allow another user to push to it, you can do so (if you're
> the creator of the repository) by doing:

> Untested yet, but from now on <another username> should be able to push
> to your repo.
>
> Help of the command available at:
> ssh git at git.xfce.org perms -h
>
> I'll try to document that stuff on the wiki...

Of course, this was *already* documented on
http://docs.xfce.org/contribute/dev/git/start and
http://docs.xfce.org/contribute/dev/git/userrepos ... need to remove old
outdated docs from wiki.xfce.org, and point to those.

> If the developers who have user repos on http://git.xfce.org/users/ can
> walk through them, and list what's merged/not merged/pending and give me
> a list of obsolete user repos, i'll do some cleanup on the serverside..

We've just done some testing with ajb, and it's possible for a developer
to remove his own user repository, with the following steps:

ssh git at git.xfce.org D unlock users/<yourlogin>/<yourrepo>
ssh git at git.xfce.org D rm users/<yourlogin>/<yourrepo>

and voila, your user repo should be gone from http://git.xfce.org/users/
(cgit config is refreshed every 15mn..)