Gtk 4.0 is not Gtk 4

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 08:33:19 CEST 2016

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Ali Abdallah <aliovx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe you have heard already about Gtk 4.0 plan and versioning convention.
> Xfce depends on Gtk, and whatever the gtk guys do to the toolkit will have a
> big impact on xfce. The versioning convention by itself it not a big deal (a
> part that it has no sense at all to change the versioning convention that
> everybody is able to interpret), what worries me more is the rapid API/ABI
> breakages rate. It is true that Xfce port to Gtk3 did not happen yet, but I
> think it is sound to discuss the gtk future plans here, and to share
> opinions.
>
> My overall feeling these days is that I don't trust those guys anymore, and
> I fell myself demotivated to write gtk code that the gtk devs will make
> obsolete in a second, with continuous breakage even between minor
> releases...

EFL has been suggested in the past by some Xfce devels as an
alternative to Gtk, but the consensus seemed to be that 'porting' to
EFL really implied a rewrite of the desktop.

While a 'release often' policy for a library seems like a silly
arrangement, I think Steve makes some very good points that this way
Xfce can stay with one Gtk version for as long as it needs, and port
to another Gtk version once it's been out for long enough and it's
known not to create too much trouble. The problem, is of course, if
the Gtk devs start removing functionality crucial to Xfce, rendering
the two incompatible...

Regards,
Liviu