xfce4-mixer development

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 09:11:22 CEST 2016

Hi,

Before starting this I should say I have *no* time in the next year, and
several more urgent work packages for Xfce. But, I do intend some day to
write an update to the mixer and volume daemon to use ALSA directly without
GStreamer. I cannot use PulseAudio so I really need it, but like I said, no
time.

Now, the same thing formulated in PR-speak:

The official sound packages are the PulseAudio ones. The GStreamer 0.1
packages can be provided as a matter of convenience but rely on obsolete
dependencies. In the future, a replacement may become available for those
who prefer to use ALSA, which will not be recommended to be used as
default; though distributors have the last say on this.

Cheers,

On 14 July 2016 at 00:29, Mukundan Ragavan <nonamedotc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am one of the co-maintainers of several Xfce packages in Fedora and
> would like to get an update about xfce4-mixer.
>
> Based on the conversation at [1], I understood that xfce4-mixer is going
> to be obsoleted in favor of xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin. One of the emails
> in that thread mentioned Slackware, which, with the release of v14.2
> also carries pulseaudio (at least officially).
>
> Is this - pulseaudio-plugin obsoleting mixer - still the case?
>
> Many thanks,
> Mukundan.
>

> [1] https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2015-June/031290.html
>
> --