xfconf VS libxfce4util Resource Config Files for configuration

OmegaPhil OmegaPhil at startmail.com
Sat Apr 30 14:23:46 CEST 2016

I understand if you don't want to discuss this, but continuing:

Can't you implement a hierarchy by using structure in INI section
titles/groups, e.g. 'Default/DVI-0', also can be used in the settings
names themselves?

I get the feeling its not so much 'needs' but programmer 'wants', to
make things convenient to program etc, without paying attention to the
cost of its actual implementation ('oh look this random library/system
has already been created that has all sorts of bells and whistles, just
use that!'). Simplicity is supposed to be extremely important for
resource usage, debugging, control, etc.

GSettings uses XML and compiled schemas (!!!), and looks to be another
programming frontend to god knows what (I'm seeing 'backend' and dbus
mentioned in places), so definitely fails KISS.