What windows are "popup windows"?

John Found johnfound at asm32.info
Wed Nov 18 15:47:59 CET 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:01:03 +0100
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> No it doesn't really, the alpha channel is not just opaque/transparent,
> it's a whole range of transparency. Only thing that /could/ give a hint is
> the input shape, if used. But then it would be just daft and break in many
> different common use cases.

Yes, it does. The semi transparent objects drop shadows and they are possible
to be drawn (in fact every graphical editor can draw shadows of semi transparent
pictures)

> If your app uses an alpha channel, it ought to draw its shadows itself the
> way it wants (like CSD windows with gtk+). Applying shadows on top of CSD
> GTK CSD windows for example would look dreadful.

Of course, the GUI toolkits should be able to reject such effects. But the
window manager should not take in consideration the tricks of every particular
GUI toolkit.

But well, I understand why the WM behaves this way and for me it is enough.
I will not argue anymore about the particular design choices, because I am not the one
that should decide what and how to be implemented.

Thanks for the help!
Best Regards
--
http://fresh.flatassembler.net