Clock and Datetime plugin merge

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Mon Mar 9 10:39:32 CET 2015

Am 09.03.2015 um 10:11 schrieb Andrzej:
> On 09/03/15 02:02, André Miranda wrote:
>> As I have already proposed the merge of datetime and clock plugin on
>> #xfce-dev, here is a comparison between them:
>>
>> What only clock has:
>> - Timezone field
>> - Multiple layouts:
>>    - Digital, same as datetime
>>    - Analog
>>    - Binary
>>    - Fuzzy
>>    - LCD
>
> If you want to reduce maintenance burden, drop binary, fuzzy and LCD.
> They are all there only mostly "because we can" and IMHO are just bloat.
>
>> What only datetime has:
>> - Display date
>> - Set font
>
> Try the following custom formats:
>
> %a, %d/%m%n<b>%H:%M</b>
> <small>DE: %H:%M (%a)</small>
>
> More details about formatting commands:
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/pango/stable/PangoMarkupFormat.html
>
> Some features (e.g. font_face) don't seem to work here but overall the
> capabilities are pretty good.
>
>> What both lack:
>> - Set color(bug #9487)
>
> Available in the clock plugin via custom formats.
>
>> - Update time immediately after resume(bug #9785)
>
> Currently an update is forced once per minute and afaik there is no an
> easy way to change it without waking up the plugin more often. An easy
> workaround is to include seconds in the clock format.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrzej

Using custom time/date configurations is where the datetime plugin
shines, and having a simple calendar is very convenient too. These
features are the main reasons I prefer this plugin to the built-in panel
clock module.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 0xBA3AC516
Fingerprint: 569E 0ADA 440A 8B11 D1A2 AB47 8238 0256 BA3A C516