Clock and Datetime plugin merge

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Mon Mar 9 09:38:38 CET 2015

On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 09:05:22 +0100
Nick Schermer <nick at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 3:02 AM, André Miranda <andreldm1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As I have already proposed the merge of datetime and clock plugin on
> > #xfce-dev, here is a comparison between them:
> >
> > What only clock has:
> > - Timezone field
> > - Multiple layouts:
> >   - Digital, same as datetime
> >   - Analog
> >   - Binary
> >   - Fuzzy
> >   - LCD
> >
> > What only datetime has:
> > - Display date
> > - Set font
> >
> > What both have:
> > - Format of tooltip
> > - Display time :)
> > - Display a calendar
> >
> > What both lack:
> > - Set color(bug #9487)
> > - Update time immediately after resume(bug #9785)
> >
> > These plugins are very similar, so users get confused and it's more code to
> > maintain.
> > So, I'd like to step up and merge them, actually taking the features of
> > datetime(display date and set font) into clock.
> > But before I start hacking, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter.
> > Are there maintainer for these plugins?
>
> I know the color only works with the digital+span format, but are we
> not over engineering [bloat] something stupid as a clock?
>
> Bug 9785 is the wrong approach. For some time we tried to fix unneeded
> wake-up events and now we're undoing that? Auke will be pissed ;)

WRT color I agree with Nick, that's over the top and sucks for themers. For the heavy-duty customizers doing that in the theme is good enough. Same goes for the font to some extent. We can even put instructions on how to achieve that in the wiki.
With Gtk3 this will be even easier, just put a block like this in your gtk-widgets.css (or even your ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css)
#xfce4-clock {
   background-color: #foo;
   color: #foo;
}