xfconf GSettings backend

Stephan Haller nomad at froevel.de
Tue Mar 3 16:19:37 CET 2015

Am 03.03.2015 14:01, schrieb Peter de Ridder:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Stephan Haller <nomad at froevel.de>
> wrote:
>> Hi Nick,
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> thanks for feedback. Sorry, I didn't noticed that the roadmap
>> contained a
>> step to drop xfconf and use dconf instead although I understand the
>> pros by
>> this migration. It's also a sad step because I like xfconf ;) But at
>> least I
>> had a nice learning experience.
>>

> It was discussed before it is not the roadmap yet.
> But this question is, why would you want a xfconf backend? to the end
> application the backend shouldn't matter, right?
Yes, of course. From the application point of view it should mostly just
be a different API.

Not knowing that there was a discussion about dropping xfconf and
thinking it will be kept as a core element of Xfce - I would say - it's
personal taste. I wanted to try to keep all settings within one backend
(xfconf) and not spread over two different backends (xfconf and dconf).
Both using different editors to view and to modify settings. And in this
case I prefer xfconf over dconf as it fits (surprise) best into Xfce ;)
and stores the values in a textual file which can be read even without a
editor. But at the end: It's personal taste.

Regards,
Stephan