GtkImageMenuItem replacement

Simon Steinbeiß simon at xfce.org
Sun Jun 7 10:33:19 CEST 2015

On Sat, 06 Jun 2015 09:26:54 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> Would be interesting to try it when using a "global menu" too, I'm not
> sure the menu hijacking code those things use will be able to understand
> manually packed labels like that.

I don't know of an implementation of a "global menu" that really works fine with every app or Xfce for that matter. Also, we don't support this in Xfce now so unless somebody wants to implement it as a panel plugin for Xfce, I wouldn't see that as a priority. Also: Manually packing labels is the *upstream recommend way* of doing things, so I would expect this to work.
Even gnome devs still use images in menu items (can't seem to find it now in their HIG, but I vaguely remember some formulation about "if it's a noun, using an icon is ok. if it's an action, no icon.").

> Maybe it would be better to copy/fork the whole source code of
> GtkImageMenuItem into libxfce4ui and just rename the class?

IMO there is no good reason to do that, since GtkImageMenuItems still work fine with Gtk3. (And with wrapping it in G_GNUC_BEGIN_IGNORE_DEPRECATIONS you also don't get any compile-time warnings anymore.)
So for now it just creates work for everyone, cause you have to rename your GtkImageMenuItems to XfceImageMenuItems (or whatever it would be called). We could revisit that though when Xfce gets ported to Gtk4 ;)

Cheers
Simon