Why design matters

Pascal Gervais pggervais at yahoo.ca
Sun Jul 26 02:29:34 CEST 2015

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:24:18 +0000
Martin Hammerchmidt <martin.hammerchmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.

Hi.

> I did'nt read all your answers but I want to give you my opinion as a
> regular xubuntu user.
>
> I find Xubuntu beautiful and it do not hurt my eyes. But xfce, unlike
> other popular desktop environment is not really beautiful out of the
> box. This demonstrate the power of xfce : it is customizable ! But if
> the new user don't know how to get a fancy desktop environment, he go
> away. That mean that the user need to be helped.

Most of the new user will use a distribution in which Xfce is already
customized. Those who are able to install and start an Xfce session
them self should be able to customize it with a minimum of research,
experimentation and exploration since everything is intuitive and user
friendly.

> Look at unity (just as example), out of the box it work well with
> everything as expected by the user. Modern, Fancy, Flat. So I really
> think that the design (the visual design, the use design) is truly
> important, especially the base (out of the box) design.

I don't care of unity, gnome, gnome shell, mate, cinnamon, kde, openbox,
fvwm, windowwaker, icewm, fluxbox, Enlightenment, xmonad, twm, blackbox
and anything else.

> Hope that help,
>
> Regards.

Regards.