new "recommended applications" wiki page

Mohammad Ghasemi ghasemicompany at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 00:03:50 CEST 2015

André Miranda

exactly. You gave me an idea. I should write a good custom search for
alternativeto.net and add it to the page. This also gets maintained
automatically.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 2:06 AM, André Miranda <andreldm1989 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I agree with Liviu, the list as of now is IHMO useful in the sense to
> enumerate apps that (should) run nicely on Xfce, but it's up to the user to
> decide if an app is light, useful or good. Yeah, we could do better, but
> the current plain and simple list isn't updated so often, I guess a more
> detailled list would be outdated in the same way.
> FWIW alternativeto.net already does a great job to discover new apps.
>
> Cheers,
> André Miranda
>
> On 07/20/2015 04:07 PM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Mohammad Ghasemi
>> <ghasemicompany at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Subject: new "recommended applications" wiki page
>>>
>>> The page https://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps does not help users
>>> choose
>>>
>>> applications, very much.
>>>
>>> The description of most applications merely says "this app is
>>> lightweight".
>>> Which is a redundant sentence, because the are meant to be lightweight!
>>>
>>> The format of the page also makes it hard for the user to compare and
>>> choose
>>> applications.
>>>
>>> I think the Use case for "recommended applications" wiki page should be
>>> something like this:
>>> To help the users to find the lightest application in each category that
>>> meets their needs.
>>>
>>>  The definition of "light" is no set in stone. While some will consider
>> Gnome "light", others will complain that Xfce is NOT "light" (i.e.
>> heavy), and that the only lightweight way to use the computer is via
>> the console.
>>

>>  To satisfy this use case we need one table for each category that has the
>>> following fields: Name, Ram usage, Features, Website, Remarks
>>> The table should be sortable by field name. It should be sorted by Ram
>>> usage
>>> by default.
>>>
>>>  While this would indeed be useful, it would also make the page
>> unmaintainable as contributors are very unlikely to add all that info,
>> or to keep them up to date. I think the list is useful as it is, in
>> its, so to say, light (or minimalistic) form, insofar it gives readers
>> several options for a given task which they can then inspect at their
>> convenience and choose what works best for them. This also lowers the
>> barrier for contributors, as it is very easy to add a new app that is
>> missing but should be there.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Liviu
>>

>>  Usage Scenario: the user visits the page. He/she wants to find the
>>> lightest
>>> software in category x that has the features he wants. The User chooses
>>> the
>>> category. He then sees a table sorted by ram usage that contains a list