new "recommended applications" wiki page

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 21:07:58 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Mohammad Ghasemi
<ghasemicompany at gmail.com> wrote:
> Subject: new "recommended applications" wiki page
>
> The page https://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps does not help users choose
> applications, very much.
>
> The description of most applications merely says "this app is lightweight".
> Which is a redundant sentence, because the are meant to be lightweight!
>
> The format of the page also makes it hard for the user to compare and choose
> applications.
>
> I think the Use case for "recommended applications" wiki page should be
> something like this:
> To help the users to find the lightest application in each category that
> meets their needs.

The definition of "light" is no set in stone. While some will consider
Gnome "light", others will complain that Xfce is NOT "light" (i.e.
heavy), and that the only lightweight way to use the computer is via
the console.

> To satisfy this use case we need one table for each category that has the
> following fields: Name, Ram usage, Features, Website, Remarks
> The table should be sortable by field name. It should be sorted by Ram usage
> by default.

While this would indeed be useful, it would also make the page
unmaintainable as contributors are very unlikely to add all that info,
or to keep them up to date. I think the list is useful as it is, in
its, so to say, light (or minimalistic) form, insofar it gives readers
several options for a given task which they can then inspect at their
convenience and choose what works best for them. This also lowers the
barrier for contributors, as it is very easy to add a new app that is
missing but should be there.

Regards,
Liviu