Window previews in xfwm4

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:41:23 CET 2015

https://github.com/sonals/xfwm4.git for folks to try out.
> There is one bug I am still trying to track down -- occasionally, the
preview comes out as blank for a minimized window.
> I capture the previews of windows which are about to be minimized inside
unmap_win() hook of the compositor. Is this
> the correct location for capturing the previews of windows which are
about to be minimized?

What about actually displaying the app's icon for minimised windows so they
can be distinguished and/or some greyed out thumbnail? There's a risk that
the thumbnail is "out of date" after all.

On 11 January 2015 at 15:24, Stephan Haller <nomad at froevel.de> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Do you think it will be possible (in the
> future) to access this preview images publically? E.g. via a function
> call or via DBUS or any other fancy interface?

Maybe the tumbler thumbnailer API could be reused to that end? You'd need a
place to store thumbnails, ideally you could make xfwm4 tell the tumbler
daemon to store a thumbnail and give tumbler the ability to serve existing
thumbnails? Not sure how that'd be performance wise though.

--
Steve Dodier-Lazaro
PhD Student