Window previews in xfwm4

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:08:03 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:15 AM, Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 26/01/15 08:09, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>>

>>> I'm using it now, seems great, but when there is 6+ windows open it falls
>>> back to icons only switcher.
>>> Do you have any idea how to handle lots of windows?
>>

>> Yes, this is on purpose and depends on your screen size. Reducing the
>> windows' pictures is expensive and I reckon once you've reached the
>> size of the screen, better switch back to regular icons (and no, it
>> won't be an option).
>

> I don't see this limit here - I'm always getting window miniatures. It
> really is rather slow - over 1s response time to Alt+Tab with about 15
> windows.
>
> Is there an option to force the <6 window limit or completely disable
> previews?
>
>> And to be honest. window contents makes sense only if the size of the
>> preview is large enough, otherwise it's useless.
>

> Yes, the miniatures are quite small, especially in the "Cycle through
> windows in a list" mode. IMHO larger preview sizes would be far more usable.

I've tried the previews in the 4.11.3, and I agree with Andrzej: the
previews are currently too small to be usable.

Perhaps using the previews, a tad more transparent, as part of "draw
frames on cycle" would be more friendly and useful user-wise. I think
this would also be not unlike what Win7 is doing...

Regards,
Liviu