4.12 Default Gtk+ theme

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 10:25:50 CET 2015

Since we're discussing themes, a user posted today about the themes s/he
used knowing s/he has a severe form of visual impairment.

"The mouse theme is definitely an improvement"
http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/DMZ+with+Yellow+Background+Multisized?content=164006

"And the improved Treepata (improved high/contrast theme) is better then
the shipped default one"
http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Treepata+-+High+contrast?content=151928

Simon, with your expert eye on what makes a theme good/bad, is Treepata
more interesting to have than our current hicolor theme? Is it worth
shipping it with Xfce 4.12 (maybe instead of or besides hicolor)? Same
question for the mouse theme. The treepata web page explicitly claims it is
more complete than our current high contrast theme.

Cheers,

On 7 February 2015 at 10:00, Andrzej <ndrwrdck at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 07/02/15 02:10, Matthew Brush wrote:
>

>>  So I'd rather stick to Adwaita (default gtk theme) or Greybird. Both
>>> look great with the new default xfwm4 theme.
>>>

>> +1 for Greybird, it's quite possibly the best theme I've found in terms
>> of good looks and working with both gtk2 and 3. I didn't check the new
>> XFWM4 theme, but if it's like the Greybird one, it should have bigger
>> borders so they can be grabbed (else a flurry of bug reports will ensue :)
>>

> I also strongly prefer Greybird as a Gtk theme for Xfce but the Xfwm4
> theme should IMHO stay unchanged. Greybird's one has too thin window
> frames, does not support high DPI and is not included in the xfwm4 tarball.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrzej

Steve Dodier-Lazaro
PhD Student