4.12 Default Gtk+ theme

Steve Dodier-Lazaro sidnioulz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:58:58 CET 2015

Hi,

My two cents, as someone who is using the latest stable GNOME apps since a
while, and has attempted to maintain patches on top of GTK+3 and GNOME 3
for research: we should never put ourselves in a position that makes us
depend on GNOME/GTK. Their APIs are not stable. Everything you code must be
re-evaluated every six months, and that means at the very least we'd be
having our own code break from the moment a GTK/GNOME release is done until
we are able to update our code and push it, possibly for months if distros
don't anticipate or do SRUs.

I'm in favour of not having a GTK+3 theme in Xfce. I'm also (but that's
another debate) in favour of Xfce never being ported to GTK+3 or another
toolkit made by GNOME. As for the GTK+2 theme, I believe that Simon is
doing an awesome job with Greybird, and I would totally use that as a
default theme. More pragmatically, Greybird is one of the very few GTK+3
themes that keep up with the GTK+3 breakages, hence it's likely that our
userbase uses that and we're more likely to provide a consistent default
for said users than by keeping a non-Adwaita/non-Greybird as a default.

Cheers,

On 4 February 2015 at 09:03, Simon Steinbeiß <simon at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> first of all thanks for the feedback and lively discussion.
>
> I'd like to follow up on what Olivier suggested (aka Option 4) and
> elaborate on that a bit. Maybe we can move on from here.
> In terms of Option 5 I agree with Guido, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel.
>
>  * For those who want to have a really fast/slim Xfce in Gtk2 only, they
> can still use the xfce-engine and themes in 4.12. Nothing is
> changing/breaking there. Also, we can do a new look/theme for that for
> 4.12, if it's something people want.
>  * For those who want to use a full desktop, they should use whatever
> their distributor of choice provides them with. This could be Adwaita,
> Greybird, Clearlooks Phoenix or whatever is around and works.
>
> This would mean that we, upstream Xfce, won't have to maintain separate
> theme/engine-versions per Gtk3 release and things will basically remain as
> they were.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 08:43:52 +0100
> Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > There is a 4th possibility that has my vote.
> >
> > TBH, none of the xfce themes/engine work well with gtk3, let alone
> > with GNOME CSD windows.
> >
> > So I'd rather stick to Adwaita (default gtk theme) or Greybird. Both
> > look great with the new default xfwm4 theme.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Olivier

Steve Dodier-Lazaro
PhD Student