Why design matters

Eduard Roccatello eduard at xfce.org
Fri Aug 21 11:45:53 CEST 2015

Il 21/08/15 11:22, Steve Dodier-Lazaro ha scritto:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It would be very valuable in this kind of discussions on the design
> process of Xfce if everyone used design vocabulary, and translated
> their thoughts and opinions in tangible design principles and
> processes. Everyone has a different opinion and just arguing endlessly
> about "keeping users free to do what they want" or "making Xfce simple
> and unbloated" doesn't really give us much of a direction or coherence
> in the way we propose changes.
>
> I realise that we have never bothered to articulate our approach to
> design, especially as Simon, Pasi, myself and the developers share
> common values and usually agree rapidly on what decisions are most in
> line with our view of the project when discussing UI improvements. If
> you feel that this would help you to join the conversation, I could
> draft one next week when back in London. In the meantime, I encourage
> everyone to be constructive, detailed and provide concrete material
> for the discussion to move forward. It is also likely that the
> discussion needs to branch into several; that would help us have
> topic-centric conversations which I'm sure will be fruitful!
As I've written we should have a design guideline so I think it would be
perfect to use the wiki to have a draft document to discuss.
Anyway I didn't mean to be offensive but "freedom" and "unbloatness" are
not "arguing about something" but two important key points imho.

So I'm waiting forward for the draft ^_^

Eduard